Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Education is like a car


Think of education as a car.  You have the body of the car and that is the school building.  Some are really nice and some are not.  Then you have the gadgets inside the car.  This represents the tools the schools have like computers, books, and other educational tools that they have.  Some cars have tons of gadgets and some do not.  Then you have the engine.  The engine represents the teachers.  Without the engine the car is nothing.  If the engine does not work well it is nothing.  This is the same with teachers.  If you are just a teacher going through the motions in the classroom then you are like a car that doesn't work, but if you are a passionate teacher and strive to do everything you can to make a difference in your students lives then you are like the engine of a luxury car; strong and reliable.  This metaphor of education being a car shows that a school can look perfect and have everything but without teachers that are devoted to their career and making a difference, you have nothing.

I learned so much in this class that I did not know about education and teaching.  The first thing is that there are so many different teaching styles out there and they all have their own theory on teaching.  Before this class I never thought about education like that.  I just assumed teachers taught and students learned.  Another thing that I learned from this class was from doing my field observations.  It has been a long time since I was in elementary school and I truly forgot what the schools and atmospheres were like.  I saw some things that I liked and some that I did not but it gave me a great perspective on what I want in my future classroom.  A final thing that I learned in this class was about inclusion.  After doing all the readings and viewing others students responses, I was able to create a clear view on my inclusion beliefs.  As a student I never thought about it, but now as an adult and a future teacher I can see the benefits of including all children in the classrooms.  Truly all of the things that I learned in this class I will take with me to my future classroom, because I can already sense what I do want to do and what I don't want to do. 

What I learned from the other students blogs were the different view points that I did not see.  I was able to learn more about students with autism and what it involves in teaching. This was important to me because this was not something I had experienced but through reading other blogs I was able to in a way experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment